Saturday, April 6, 2013

Waiting

I have finally moved on to my second piece of furniture. It's another dresser, smaller, and I've decided to paint it white and yellow! I'm really excited about the yellow. This dresser has proven, already, to be a difficult one because after sanding just the top for nearly an hour (with an electric sander, mind you!) I gave up and went to buy chemicals. This thing has at least 7 different layers of paint on it, all different colors and when I went to remove the hardware whomever made it basically dug out the wood because the screws on the hardware weren't long enough so I'm going to have to fill those in with wood filler (I might need to get a bigger container!) and then find hardware with screws long enough to go through. The original hardware is nice and I was going to keep it but I just don't think I'd feel right selling it with giant holes where the knobs are. It looks sloppy. Or maybe if worse comes to worse I'll just cover it with contact paper which I'll have to get for the drawer bottoms anyway because they're stained and whatnot. Now I just need to find some decent looking paper.

So I just got back in from slapping two coats of Citristrip on it and the drawers and I'm waiting for it to do it's thing. I read a review on it from another blog. She was testing it vs the more caustic version and Citristrip won. Her project actually had several coats of paint on it, too, so I'm hoping mine turns out as well. I am actually painting it white again so if it doesn't all come off it's not a problem but because there were SO many layers of paint it was all sloppy looking and I couldn't just slap another coat on and expect it to be nice and smooth. That sander has met it's match!

I have a third dresser I'll be working on that's taller. I plan on doing something more masculine with that since my first dresser was super girly and the second one will be pretty feminine but more grown up. Unless I change my mind I plan on staining the body and some of the drawers ebony and every other drawer a sun bleached light stain. I got inspiration from a table I saw while browsing for ideas. I'm not sure what color I'm going to do the hardware. I haven't inspected it closely yet so I don't even know if I'll be able to use the original. It'll definitely be dark but not black. Maybe a charcoal grey or something along those lines, rubbed bronze, pewter...I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment