Monday, April 8, 2013

Half way there

I spent 5 hours today on one of the dressers I'll hopefully be finishing by Wednesday. It's a tall one with five drawers. I decided to go masculine with this one. I spent and eternity sanding but I think there is a mojo to it because it seemed to go a little faster towards the end. Anyway, I was able to stain it, although I was doing it by twilight. I moved it to the driveway because there was too much dust in the garage so I took it outside and wiped it down and stained it there. Once I'd wiped off the excess stain I moved it back inside the garage to a less dusty area to rest. From what I could tell in the dim, yellow light of the garage it looks great! I may need to do a second coat to the very top of the dresser and I still need to paint the hardware or possibly replace. I haven't decided since only one of the pieces is broken. I may just make the top two knobs different than the rest. I think I have some bronze paint left so that they'll all match.

The shorter dresser is finally stripped. I had to do some touching up today. I'll start sanding it tomorrow and HOPEFULLY get started painting it. Wednesday I'll finish it up if I haven't and apply a few coats of polycrylic to the tall dresser. Last but not least, I need to find some paper to put in the bottom of the drawers to cover up old stains and whatnot and then they'll be ready to sell!

I'm really looking forward to showing these off. My first dresser was WAY girly so I want to show that I can do a more grown up feminine dresser and even do well at a man's dresser. I'm excited for the reveal! It should be no later than Thursday! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment